The WJEC GCSE qualification in Digital Technology is newly introduced, and offers a broad-based qualification that allows learners to build on the digital skills, knowledge and understanding that is used both in our school and everyday lives. The qualification is designed for learners who wish to begin their journey towards a career that utilises digital technologies or to progress onto advanced level programmes of learning involving digital technologies.
The qualification will allow learners to develop their understanding of the range of digital technology systems at use in our connected and globalised society. It will also allow learners to explore the ever-evolving nature of digital technology systems and how these systems can be used productively, creatively and safely.
Unit 1 – Exam: In this unit learners will develop knowledge, skills and understanding in:
- digital technology systems
- the value of digital technology
- perspectives on digital technology.
Learners will be given the opportunity to develop their knowledge and understanding of the six areas of content:
- Digital technology systems
- Digital communications
- Impact of digital systems on organisations and individuals
- Securing data and systems
- Changing digital technologies
Unit 2 – Coursework: In this unit learners will develop digital products. Learners will be required to use appropriate technical skills to develop digital products. The logging of issues, problems, hurdles and solutions will allow the assessment of the learners ability to develop a digital product that meets the identified needs, trends or audience. Learners will test their completed digital products to remove errors and bugs. Learners will produce a document evaluating the extent to which the data-informed digital product has satisfied the identified needs, trends and audience.
Learners will be given the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of the five areas of content:
- Data organisation
- Data analytics
- Planning digital products
- Developing digital products
- Evaluating completed digital products
Unit 3 – Coursework: In this unit learners will develop knowledge, skills and understanding in:
- social media and online marketing communications
- creating digital assets and planning digital communications
Learners will be given the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and understanding of the four areas of content:
- Forms of online marketing communications
- Impact of online marketing communications
- Creating digital assets
- Planning digital communications